1. Everyone’s an accidental DBA (or database professional) – what’s your story? How’d you become a SQLPerson?
I intended on IT being my career as I attended college full-time for IT while serving in the USAF. However, I too ‘fell into’ the SQL Server career by way of my first job out of college. I landed a gig working for an ‘e-manufacturer’ and while it was very cool it was also a ton of learning & work. This firm was a small, niche company and thus you had to learn everything from databases to web development to ladder-logic for PLC programming. SQL was just always my favorite technology out of all of them and eventually that passion for SQL transformed into a passion for DW/BI and what it could do for business performance.
2. What’s your favorite part of your current gig?
Getting to make important decisions such as go-to-market products, services, & strategies.
Adding 2.1: What’s the worst part of your current gig?
Getting to make important decisions.
3. Complete this sentence: “If I could do anything else, I would…”
… work on a Business Intelligence product team (if it were up to me probably MSFT but not necessarily).
4. Complete this sentence: “When I’m not working I enjoy…”
… working out, spending time with my son and family, and generally anything that does NOT involve technology.
5. Complete this sentence: “I think the coolest thing in technology today is…”
Kinect. While I don’t see Kinect as it stands today being the same in the future, the general dynamic is that we’ve been using keyboards and mice for a LONG TIME NOW. I think society is ready to embrace a big usability change in the PC market if it is done correctly.
6. Complete this sentence: “I look forward to the day when I can use technology to…”
… provision an entire enterprise in the cloud with 1-click. Manipulate dashboards & scorecards with a Kinect-like experience. Build hologram dashboards.
7. Share something different about yourself. (Remember, it’s a family blog!)
In the military, over in Saudi, my call sign was ‘pumpkin head’ (very well deserved with my melon!)
Originally published .